Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Improving Holga 120 GN

Like I announced here, my Holga 120GN was 'upgraded' to make some 60 pictures with a nonperforated 35mm roll (brand General Photo). I made a mask that used the entire width of the roll (35mm) and about 24mm of the lenght. Because the normal lens act as a weak tele, 60mm focal lenght instead of the normal 50mm for a 35mm full frame, I thought about using a wide angle lens to turn the modified Holga into an almost normal camera. Yes, it worked, and I also used a fish eye lens but it distorts too much the pictures. The wide angle lens are 0.5 x, so, instead of 60mm we have a 30mm focal lenght which allows further reduction of the picture. I will use this possibility to make a smaller mask and let margins in the film. The new size will be then 30x20 mm with 2,5mm margin on each side. This is exactly in the same proportion 3:2 of the normal 35mm full frame but the 30mm focal lenght is still a weak wide angle lens, maybe 0.6 or 0.7.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3 - Fish eye distortion

No comments: