Thursday, October 4, 2012

Photoscape and chemistry

I am using the software Photoscape (not Photoshop), a free software that is working fine with me. It is fast and easy to use. Especially if your computer is not the ultimate, it will help a lot to tweak your scanned photos. The program has several modules, one of them I used to make pages of already treated photos. 

Holga 120 GN with a 24x36 mm mask
Holga 120 GN with a 24x36 mm mask
Konica Z-up 110
The second and third series were made yesterday. The second series is from a B&W roll developed with Parodinal-C 2 bath developer and served to establish the final version (see recipes). It is working very well and is recommended for medium or large format and not so demanding 35 mm pictures.

The third series was made to test a small point & shoot camera I bought at ebay. Developed in Dignan's 2-bath developer.

So, I am now working with 2-bath developers for both B&W and color. The bath B is the same for both processes. If you are looking for a minimal concept, in what chemicals are concerned, so here you have a suggestion. I am not advising, I am not an expert, I am a just a hobbyist sharing his experiences.



Color C-41
/min.
Black and White
/min.
Bath A1 – CD4+Sulfite
5
0
Bath A2 – Parodinal-C
0
5
Bath B – Soda + KBr
10
10
Rinse with water 3 times
1
1
Bleach – Betadine 10%
90
0
Rinse 3 times with water
1
0
Fixer – Ammonium Thiosulfate
5
5
Washing very well
30
30
Photoflo
1
1


This is what I am doing at the moment, I am using at all 5 baths to develop color and B&W films. Bath B and Fixer are the same for both processes. In principle, bath A1 will also be right for B&W films but I never tried it. Some other time I will try and maybe the baths needed could be reduced to just 4 for both color and B&W, where for B&W we bypass bleach.

No comments: